top of page

Foreign documents

Do you have a New Zealand document which you need to use in another country? Whether it is a power of attorney, business contracts, medical documents, an overseas transfer of land, estate documents, court documents or simply providing certified copies of documents such as certificates of birth, death or marriage, you will need the services of a Notary Public.


A Notary Public charges a fee for all notarial work undertaken and is usually charged on a time in attendance basis. The professional fee also depends on the complexity involved. Requests for urgent, complex, after hours notarial services or where there are a significant number of documents will incur further fees.

What is a Notary?

Notaries Public are senior lawyers who prepare, authenticate, attest, witness and certify original and copy legal documents for use overseas. A Notary Public has had to satisfy a significant number of requirements to be appointed. They must also have at least 10 years legal experience. They verify the validity of documents and the identity of a person signing a document under New Zealand laws. This is a very important function as it enables the document to be recognised by a foreign government and validly used in another country.

The Hague Convention

Under the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents of 1961, the office and seal of a notary is internationally recognised. Mark Manhire was appointed a Notary Public in 2016 by The Faculty Office in London and can provide this important service as a duly appointed Notary Public for New Zealand. He will advise you about the type of certification required and whether any other documents are needed.

Photographic identification

It is essential that photographic identification by way of a passport and driver licence is provided by you before documents can be notarised. As not all countries are signatories to the Hague Convention we are able to advise you of the likely requirements of any particular country. You may also need to provide evidence of your current address.

Please make an appointment at

bottom of page